Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Compiling the List

Location: Burns, OR, USA
A packing list that is. Last time I traveled abroad I was only going to be gone for a few months. I traveled knowing that if I happened to need something (like emergency clothes or that special sweet *coughreesespeanutbuttercupscough*), I could find it somewhere in Townsville. Now, though, I'm leaving for at least a year and I have no idea if I'll find everything I need, should the need arise. That calls for a comprehensive packing list.

Wait, I only have one suitcase? A carry-on size one? Nonono, we can't have this. *sigh* I suppose I get to buy a new suitcase too. For those wondering about the ones I had for my Berea years, they have sadly died. They larger two both lost the support thing on the bottom (you know, the one that lets it sit flat with the wheels) the first and second times flying; that was way back in Spring 2008. They got beat up and what not over the course of the next few years. Lost the top handles in Fall 2008. Broke the clip for the strap on the largest one in Spring 2009. And then I went to Australia. My poor luggage took a beating flying across the ocean. It was mostly confined to some broken corners though, no big deal. And then we go to Brisbane. Getting there was fine (if heavy - I did pack all my stuff between one suitcase and two carry-ons. Had to be within domestic flight guidelines. What? No, of course my bag doesn't weigh 11.5 kilos. Oh, you mean the other one? It doesn't weigh 11.5 kilos either.) But leaving Brisbane I ran into my first major issue. The medium suitcase broke a wheel on the way to the airport. Made it home in one relative piece. Broken one could just stay home, right? Right. No serious mishaps that Spring or Summer, but Fall 2010, oh boy. That was the big break. Moving me into Kettering and what happens? The pull handle breaks. Of all the other things that could break, it had to be that. Okay, okay, I can deal with this. I'll just use the one with the broken wheel when I get home. No, not going to happen either. It's full of mold from my nasty leaking room. So I'm left with one good suitcase and it's a small one. So, finding a new suitcase or suitably sized duffle is an important thing on my list.

The list. What a list it is. Australia I didn't really start thinking about packing until the week before. Thoughts: I'm going to a tropical location. Summer clothes, light jacket, few pairs of shoes, important documents, and go. Now though, oh no. Gimhae is a coastal city with a mild climate. And lots of rain (so I've heard). So I've got to pack winter-ish clothes, waterproof clothes, summery clothes, shoes (I have big feet), plus things you can't find in South Korea (or if you do, it's super expensive), like chewy cookies and peanut butter cups. Just have to say my list is long and my budget right now is non-existent.

No comments:

Post a Comment