Saturday, January 21, 2012

Becoming an ESL Teacher

Location: Burns, OR, USA
Yesterday I mentioned paperwork, and boy is there a ton of it. I don't know if all of it is required for everyone, I just went on what I've been told and what I could find via internets.

First, and probably longest, is getting an FBI background check. I sent the form and $18 money order out the week between Christmas and New Years. Nearly a month later, I'm still waiting. I forgot when I sent it out that I would need it notarized. Sometimes they do it automatically, sometimes they don't. I'm hoping that because I put "Teaching English Abroad" as my reason for needing it, they will do it automatically. Otherwise I will be sending it back and getting it notarized (which can take two weeks) before turning around and sending it to be apostilled, or authorized for international use, a process which can take another four weeks. Oh boy. I'm hoping it comes back soon and notarized so I can be on my way.

Second is getting a apostilled copy of your diploma. I had to send my degree back to Berea to be notarized and apostilled there. Yes, it has to be in the city you obtained it in. Makes it hard when you're across the country. I'm also a derp that forgot to include the $5 the Madison County Court House charges to apostille the degree. Thankfully I have wonderful friends in Berea that are going to loan me the money and let me pay the back in some way, including awesome Korean birthday presents. This will probably be the easiest and shortest send-out work I have.

Then I have the contract! Yay! But then I have to send a bunch of things off again, including:
  • The contract
  • The apostilled background check
  • The apostilled diploma
  • A sealed official copy of your transcript
  • A copy of your resume
  • A copy of the photo page of your passport
  • 2-3 passport sized photos
All those I send of to South Korea and my school there. They do somethings and then I get a confirmation of visa issuance.

Then I mail the confirmation, a letter of purpose, my passport, and a self addressed stamped envelope to the nearest Korean consulate; for me this is Seattle, WA. When I get it back, I will be legal to teach in South Korea and I can leave!

There are some other things I have to do when I get there, but I'll have Leandra and my school to help out. At this point, though, it's just a waiting game with the FBI.

2 comments:

  1. By the way, if your FBI check comes back without a notarization, you can mail it to a apostille company (I did this because again it takes forever!)I can try to find the place I sent mine. It only takes maybe a week at most, but does cost more. I think mine was about $50 dollars. I'll send you an email if I find the place.

    Leandra (It's making me sign up with my google account, but it's in Korean... I'll try to figure it out later when I can find the language button, so anonymous it will be.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious that it's in Korean. But if you can find the company, awesome. I'll have to dig up more monies though.

      Delete